Description: A savory and sweet ‘Sloppy Joe’ recipe for a saint who was far from ‘sloppy’.
Serving: 4-5 People
Prep time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 20 mins
1 Tbsp Butter
1 tsp Olive Oil
1 lb. Ground Beef
½ Minced Red or Green Bell Pepper
1/2 Minced Large Yellow Onion
3 Minced Garlic Cloves
1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
2/3 cup Ketchup
1/3 cup Water
1 Tbsp Brown Sugar (or less, if you prefer)
1 tsp Yellow Mustard
3/4 tsp Chili Powder
1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 tsp Kosher Salt
1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
1 tsp Black Pepper
1-2 dashes Hot Sauce (optional)
How To Make:
- Heat butter and oil in a large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add Garlic and onion until caramelized, 2 minutes.
- Once caramelized add diced bell peppers and cook for one to two minutes.
- Add ground beef. Brown the meat, breaking it apart into crumbles as it cooks for about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, ketchup, water, brown sugar, mustard, chili powder, Worcestershire Sauce, salt, red pepper flakes (optional), and black pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Cook over MEDIUM heat for 10-15 minutes, until mixture has thickened to your liking. Remove from heat and serve over toasted buns.