Granny Smith Apple Puffed Pastry Turnover
Description: Grandparents are a necessary part of our family. They’re more than babysitters or people to visit over the holidays. They’re custodians of faith and tradition. This menu helps us to remember that the Holy Family had Holy Grandparents.
Serving: 4 People
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cooking Time: 2 mins
2 sheets puff pastry
1 Tbsp all-purpose flour for dusting
1 lb Granny Smith apples (2 medium) cored and thinly sliced
1 Tbsp unsalted butter
1 tsp Vanilla extract
½ cup brown sugar, lightly packed
2 tbsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp salt
1 egg beaten with 1 Tbsp water for egg wash
For the whipped cream:
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1-2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
How To Make:
- Preheat Oven to 375˚F.
- In a medium pot, melt 1 Tbsp butter over medium heat. Add sliced apples and cook.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in brown sugar, vanilla, cinnamon, and salt. Continue to simmer 3-5 minutes until apples are soft and caramelized. Remove from heat.
- With a pizza cutter, cut puff pastry into 4 equal-sized squares. Place cooled apple mixture in the middle of the pastry.
- Thoroughly beat together 1 egg and 1 Tbsp water. Brush egg wash lightly on edges of the pastry (just enough to seal). Bring the edges together and crimp tightly along the edges.
- Transfer pastries to a parchment-lined baking sheet or a buttered baking dish with foil, keeping them at least 1 inch apart.
- Brush the tops with egg wash and bake 20-23 minutes or until golden and puffed.
- While the turnovers are still warm, stir together powdered sugar, heavy whipping cream, and vanilla to make a whipped cream topping.
- Dollop the pastry with whipped cream and serve.