More Dirty Money: Foundations That Fund CFFC
MORE DIRTY MONEY: FOUNDATIONS THAT FUND CFFC
HLI Reports began this historic expose' in our January and February issues. Now get the whole series in a booklet for just $3.
by James A. Miller
Rounding out the top 10 foundations which through the years have given the most money to the so-called Catholics For a Free Choice are Packard ($445, 000), General Service ($336,700), Public Welfare ($298,000), Huber ($275, 000), and Scherman ($240,000).
The David & Lucile Packard Foundation Address: 300 Second Street, Suite 200, Los Altos, CA 94022. Phone: 415/948-7658.
The Packard Foundation was started in 1964 by David Packard, co-founder of the Hewlett-Packard Company, and his wife, the late Lucile Salter Packard. Hewlett- Packard Company, the cash cow for the Packard Foundation and the source of the enormous fortunes of the Hewlett and Packard families, was begun in 1938 by William Hewlett and David Packard with just $538 in capital. One of the greatest success stories in American business annals, Hewlett-Packard first achieved fame in 1939 with the development of the audio oscillator, several of which were sold to the Walt Disney Studios for use in the soundtrack production of 
Hewlett-Packard's 1994 revenues were some $25 billion on which its after tax earnings were approximately $1.8 billion. In the third week of March the company's stock was trading on the New York Stock Exchange (symbol HWP) at an all-time high of $125 per share and a 2-for-1 stock split was underway. HWP is an acknowledged leader in a wide variety of computer products, including the HP 3000 series of business computers, the 9000 line of technical computers, the HP Vectra series of PC's, and the HP LaserJet and DeskJet printers.
The Packard Foundation, headed by founder David Packard, had assets of almost $1.3 billion at the end of 1993. This amount was more than five times greater than the $227 million of 1990, a result of David Packard's 1990-1993 gifts to the foundation of more than $700 million in HWP stock and improved stock market prices. Further donations by Mr. Packard of HWP stock to the foundation have already been committed.
Besides its long-time support of Catholics for a Free Choice, the Packard Foundation has been an enthusiastic supporter of world population control measures. In 1993, the latest year available, the Packard Foundation made grants of at least $2,135,487 for such activities, including more than $316,000 to no less than different Planned Parenthood affiliates. Additionally, that same year, the foundation gave $20,000 to the Rockfeller-allied Population Council to "prepare and plan for the introduction of RU486 in the United States," $80,000 to Ms. Kissling's old outfit of abortionists, the National Abortion Federation, and $75,000 to the National Abortion Rights Action League, a notorious group of propagandists. More than $921,000- more than 43 percent of the Packard Foundation's 1993 expenditures for population control-was funneled into Mexico ($594,990), Columbia ($226,758), the two countries jointly ($40,000), and into a U.S. "Hispanic" project ($60,000), to promote abortion, sterilization and contraception of Latinos.
Packard Foundation Trustees:
David Packard, the chairman of the board of trustees, is also the chairman of the board of the Hewlett-Packard Company. Readers might inform Mr. Packard of their disgust for his promotion of anti-Catholic bigotry, abortion, and population control. Better yet, tell Mr. Packard why you will no longer buy Hewlett-Packard products. Mr. Packard can be reached at Hewlett-Packard Corp., 3000 Hanover Street, Palo Alto, CA 94304 (415/857-1501).
David Woodley Packard, Mr. Packard's son, is the chairman and president of Ibycus Corporation which manufactures Greek-English translation machines, a director of Hewlett Packard Corp., and the owner of the Stanford Theater at 221 University Avenue, Palto Alto, CA 94301, a repertory house featuring old film classics. A spokesman at the theater indicated that Mr. Packard was "very active" in the running of the theater and had an office there.
California residents in the Palto Alto area might wish to protest and picket at both Hewlett-Packard's headquarters and the Stanford Theater. There's nothing like a good picket line out front to get the Packards'-and the media's-attention.
David Packard's daughters, Nancy Ann Packard Burnett, Susan Packard Orr, and Julie Elizabeth Packard, all serve on the Foundation board and may be contacted there.
Robin Chandler Duke, wife of retired U.S. State Department diplomat Angier Biddle Duke, has had a long involvement with abortion and population control groups. Mrs. Duke has been a director of Planned Parenthood's Alan Guttmacher Institute and is currently a board member and "national chair" of Population Action International, formerly known as the Population Crisis Committee. She may be reached at home, 435 East 52nd. Street, New York, NY 10022; phone: 212/759-9146.
Robert J. Glasser, MD, a foundation trustee since 1984, is in active practice at 525 Middlefield Road, Suite 130, Menlo Park, CA 94025; office phone: 415/323-6700. home phone: 415/328-5869.
Dean O. Morton has been with Hewlett-Packard since 1960 and may be reached at his office there (415/857-3659).
General Service Foundation
Address: 411 E. Main Street, Suite 205, Aspen, CO 81611. Phone: 303/920-6834; FAX: 303/920-4578.
Originally established in 1946 in Illinois with a $5.675 million endowment from Clifton and Margaret Musser, the foundation is still quite small with current assets of some $40 million. Beginning in 1970, world population control became-and has remained-a major concern of GSF. A 1981 foundation publication, covering the first 35 years of operation, disclosed that GSF had "worked closely over twenty years with...Planned Parenthood, American Friends Service Committee, Population Council, Population Crisis Committee, Columbia University, and others" to cope with the "awesome... consequences of unrestricted population growth."
In 1979 and 1980, GSF made population control its main area of concentration, with "up to two-thirds of the Foundation's income" during that period designated for such activity. Accordingly, "a major contribution [was made] to the Population Council in support of its [population programs] in Latin America and the Caribbean, with emphasis on Mexico." Thanks to GSF funding, the Population Council was able to expand "similar activities . . . [in] Brazil, Columbia, the Dominican Republic, Peru, and El Salvador."
In recent years, GSF has funded the notorious International Projects Assistance Services of Carriboro, North Carolina, a manufacturer of manual vacuum aspiration abortion machines, in placing its devices and training physicians in their use, in Ecuador (1988 and 1990, $25,000 each year), Nicaragua (1989, $28,000, 1990 and 1991, $20, 000 each year), and Mexico (1992-93, $40,000). GSF's most recent grant to Catholics for a Free Choice, was a two-year $90,000 award in 1993.
General Service Foundation Directors
One of the most disgraceful episodes involving foundation funding of CFFC revolves around the presence for many years of one James Patrick Shannon on the Board of Directors of the General Service Foundation. Mr. Shannon, a de-frocked Roman Catholic priest, was formerly an auxiliary bishop (1965-68) of the Archdiocese of Saint Paul, MN! Leaving the priesthood, Mr. Shannon married outside the Church in 1969.
Mr. Shannon retired from the GSF board in 1994 and is currently practicing law at 250 Central Ave North, Wayzata, MN 55391 (612/473-2751).
Most of GSF's directors and of are descendants of the founding donors, or their spouses. They include Marion M. Lloyd, the Mussers' daughter, and her daughter Mary Lloyd Estrin and Mrs. Estrin's spouse, Robert L. Estrin, as well as Elizabeth, Marcie and Robert Musser. All may be reached care of the foundation.
Public Welfare Foundation
Address: 2600 Virginia Avenue NW, Suite 505, Washington, DC 200371977. Phone: 202/965-1800.
The Public Welfare Foundation was established in 1947 by newspaper publisher Charles Edward Marsh, who endowed the foundation with the donation of three Southern dailies: , , and . In 1985, the sale of the three papers to resulted in a substantial increase in the foundation's assets, which exceeded $300 million in late 1993.
In the fiscal year ending 31 October 1993, besides an $80,000 grant to Catholics for a Free Choice, PWF liberally funded 15 different Planned Parenthood abortion and population programs run by a dozen different Planned Parenthood affiliates. Altogether, at least $636,500 was turned over to Planned Parenthood. Grants totaling $95,000 were given to two Planned Parenthood affiliates in Texas, while three in North Carolina received $90,000. Other U.S. affiliates receiving funds were located in Washington DC ($75,000), Tennessee ($28,000), and Arizona ($75,000). Through Planned Parenthood affiliates in New York City and London, PWF funded Planned Parenthood activities in Upper Guinea ($50,000), Colombia ($50,000), Mexico ($41,500), Thailand ($35,000), Bangladesh ($27,000), and Vietnam ($25,000). Another Planned Parenthood operation in Eritera received a $45,000 grant funneled through the Unitarian Universalist Service Committee of Cambridge, Massachusetts.
In fiscal 1993, PWF gave grants totaling $370,000 to the Washington DC-based Population Services International to distribute condoms in the United States ($100,000), Benin and Central African Republic ($80,000 each), Zaire ($60,000) and Rwanda ($50,000). Readers will note that while Rwanda was in the midst of a savage civil war and severe famine, Public Welfare Foundation and Planned Parenthood helped to alleviate the situation with gifts of condoms!
International Projects Assistance Service of North Carolina was given $75,000 to send its abortion machines to Eastern and Southern Africa, while the Grupo de Informacion en Reproduccion Elegida in Mexico City received $62,500 to agitate for abortion. Altogether, nearly $3,000,000 was given by PWF in 1993 for the promotion of abortion, sterilization and population control.
A surprising discovery among the PWF grantees was the award in 1992 of $100,000 to the Flowers with Care program of the Diocese of Brooklyn. Flowers with Care, based in Queens, NY, runs an educational and job training program for disadvantaged youth. The program appears to be a worthwhile one.
Public Welfare Foundation Directors:
Peter Edelman, an attorney and husband of Children's Defense Fund President Marian Wright Edelman, is currently on leave of absence from Georgetown University School of Law. Mr. Edelman now heads the "Counselor's Office" to U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Donna Shalala, and may be reached at HHS, 200 Independence Avenue, SW, Room 615-5, Washington, DC 20201, (202/690-8157). Mr. Edleman resides at 3208 Newark Street NW, Washington, DC 20008, (202/244-9004).
Readers might inquire of Mr. Edelman, a noted civil rights champion and liberal Democrat, how anti-Catholic bigotry and the promotion of abortion fit in with his professed concerns and those of his wife, a noted professional protector of children's rights-after they're born, that is.
Donald T. Warner is the chairman of PWF and may be reached there.
Thomas J. Scanlon, vice-chairman of the board, is also the head of Benchmarks Inc., an international and domestic consulting firm located at 3248 Prospect Street NW, Washington DC, (202/965-3983). Mr. Scanlon resides at 5002 Worthington Drive, Bethesda, MD 20816, (301/229-4663 and 229-8718). A secretary at Benchmarks volunteered that Mr. Scanlon "is a Catholic."!
Robert R. Nathan is an economic consultant and president of his firm Nathan Associates, Inc., 2101 Wilson Blvd., Arlington, VA 22201, (703/516-7700)
Other directors include treasurer Veronica T. Keating, Jerome W. Stokes, Antoinette and Robert Haskell, Myrtis H. Powell, C. Elizabeth Warner and Thomas W. Scoville, all of whom may be reached at the foundation's office.
Address: P. O. Box 277, Rumson, NJ 07760 Phone: 908/872-2322
The extremely secretive Huber Foundation was established in 1949 by members of the Huber family, owners of the $1.2 billion dollar J. M. Huber Corporation. The privately- held corporation, a manufacturer of printing inks, carbon black, and various chemicals and resins, is located at 333 Thornall Street, Edison NJ 08818, (908/549-8600).
According to a local New Jersey paper, some 15 years ago the Huber Foundation "stepped into the spotlight . . . to announce that all future grants would promote 'reproductive freedom.'" The foundation then "slipped back into the obscurity that had shrouded it since its creation ...." The article reported that "[m]embers of the Huber family are wary about discussing the philanthropy" and ignored "repeated calls to the foundation." Indeed, so secretive is the foundation, that its official annual reports simply list the organizations receiving Huber grants, without disclosing the amounts each was awarded. A review of the foundation's Internal Revenue 990 Tax Form was required to ascertain that information.
True to its earlier declaration, the foundation's annual report states that the Huber Foundation "focuses its grant-making on the issues of Reproductive Health, Population Education and Family Planning. Only organizations that make a substantial commitment of time and resources to these issues will be considered for funding."
Accordingly, in 1992, the latest year available, a total of $1,455,600 went to the likes of Catholics for a Free Choice ($40,000), the Alan Guttmacher Institute ($85,000), the Association for Voluntary Sterilization ($40,000), the National Abortion Federation ($42,000), the National Abortion Rights Action League ($60,000), Planned Parenthood Federation of America and six Planned Parenthood affiliates ($384,000), the Population Crisis Committee ($25,000), the Religious Coalition for Abortion Rights ($20,000, and Zero Population Growth ($30,000).
Huber Foundation Trustees
Hans A. Huber, the president of Huber Foundation, resides at 4 Tennis Court Lane, Rumson, NJ 07760, (908/842-6794).
Michael W. Huber, secretary of the foundation, is the chairman of the board of the J. M. Huber Corporation. He may be reached there or at his home, 794 Navesink River Road, Locust, NJ 07760, (908/291-0327).
David G. Huber, vice-president of the foundation, has an unlisted home phone but may be contacted at the Huber Foundation.
Other trustees, Lorraine Barnhart, assistant secretary of the foundation, Christopher W. Seely, and Catherine Weiss, may all be contacted care of the Huber Foundation.
Address: 16 East 52nd Street, Suite 601, New York, NY 10022. Phone: 212/832-3086.
The Scherrnan Foundation was established in 1941 by Harry Scherrnan, inventer of the Book-of-the-Month Club.
Book Club stock to Time, Inc. in 1977, assets substantially increased and today total about $80 million. "Family planning" is one of the "main interests of the Scherman Foundation."
In 1993, the last year available, among the population control and abortion outfits funded by the Scherman Foundation were the American Civil Liberties Union "reproductive freedom project," i.e. abortion on demand ($50,000), the Association for Voluntary Sterilization ($75,000), International Projects Assistance Services ($75,000), Planned Parenthood of New York City ($100,000), Population Action International ($90,000), and the Religious Coalition for Abortion Rights ($45,000). No grant was given that year to CFFC since it had previously received a two-year award of $50,000 in 1992.
As in the case of the Public Welfare Foundation (above), the Schennan Foundation has also funneled monies through a Catholic entity for distribution to the Flowers with Care organization of Queens, NY. In 1988 $25,000 was awarded; this time the funds were channeled through the U.S. Catholic Conference! In 1992 a two-year $30,000 grant was given to Flowers with Care, again via the U.S. Catholic Conference. What in heavens name is going on here?
Scherman Foundation Directors
Scherman son-in-law Axel G. Rosin is the chairman of the Scherman Foundation and his wife, Katherine S. Rosin, daughter of the founder, is the foundation's secretary.
Karen R. Sollins is the president of the foundation while Sandra Silverman is the executive director.
Other directors include Hillary Brown, Anthony M. Schulte and Marcia T. Thompson. All of the above may be contacted care of the foundation.
1 For the complete list of the 36 known foundations which have funded CFFC, and the amounts they have given, see , February 1995, pp. 8, 10-15.
2 Fucini & Fucini, , G. K. Hall, Boston, 1985, p. 206.
3 Standard & Poor's Stock Report #1137, 1227-94.
4 Packard Foundation 1993 Annual Report, p. 74.
5 <1995 Taft Foundation Reporter>, p. 1043; Packard Foundation 1993 Annual Report, p. 79.
6 Packard Foundation 1993 Annual Report. pp. 24, 30-1, 59, 66, 70.
7 Foundation booklet, , pp. 2, 6.
8 , pp. 10-11.
9 (TFR), 1990, p. 238; 1992, p. 305; General Service Foundation Annual Reports, 1989 (p. 10), 1990 (p. 11), 1991 (p. 11), and 1992/1 93 (unnumbered).
10 Public Welfare Foundation Annual Report 1992-1993, p. 3; , 1995, p. 1100.
11 Foundation Annual Report 1992-93, pp. 38-9.
12 , p. 41.
13 pp. 38-41.
14 , 1994/1995, p. 2109.
15 , 1992, Information Access Company, Belmont, CA, p. 2061.
16 , Hackensack, NJ, February 10, 1991.
17 , 1995, p. 639.
18 Scherrnan Foundation 1993 Annual Report, pp. 3-4.
19 , pp. 12-13
20 , 1993/1994, p. 2335; Foundation Annual Reports, 1993 and 1992.
Taken from the May 1995 issue of "HLI Reports." To subscribe contact: HLI Reports, 7845 Airpark Road, Suite E Gaithersburg, MD 20879