Evolutionism
Question from Anonymous on 12/31/2013:

Hello, please note that I have no intentions of offending or frustrating you. I simply seek an answer. There is a lot of arguing about different theories and wether or not they are fact of fiction. I have a question about the theory of evolutionism vs creationism. If God's powers have infinite possibilities then why do people hate thinking about how God could have created the universe through the method of Evolutionism? A lot of people will argue that God's powers are endless but then try to limit his powers by saying that the ONLY way he could have made us is by creationism. The purpose of this is to get better clarification on why people believe in creationism so strongly.

Dear Anon,

The key Church teaching is that God created the world from nothing. Now back in the Fourth and Fifth Century St. interpreted the Genesis account, not as seven literal days, but as different stages of development over time. Modern science backs him up on this point. Now many modern evolutionists opine that the world developed on its own power and did not need God to begin it. But it is no mere opinion that God created the world. St. Thomas demonstrated that He did. Modern scientist are going beyond the evidence when they opine that God did not create the world. They are deserting their scientific method and getting into philosophy and theology, which are disciplines in which they have not been trained.