-- ZENIT.org News Agency
Israel Has 'No Intention' of Giving Church Sovereignty Over Cenacle
Israeli Ambassador Quells Rumors Ahead of Papal Visit
JERUSALEM, May 15, 2014 (Zenit.org) - Israel has said it has "no intention" of giving the Vatican sovereignty or ownership of the Cenacle, the site of the Lord's Supper.
"Contrary to rumors in Israel, there is no intention to transfer to the Vatican sovereignty or ownership on the Tomb of David or the Cenacle," Israel's ambassador to the Vatican, Zion Evrony, said in a speech obtained on Wednesday by the Times of Israel.
Foreign Minister Avigdor Liberman has also dispelled rumors of a deal during the pope's upcoming visit.
"The State of Israel has no intention of signing with the Vatican, during the Pope's coming visit, on an agreement to transfer the responsibility of sites like these or others, or other gestures," Liberman said on Tuesday.
The Holy Father will celebrate Mass on the site on Mount Zion near the walls of the Old City during his May 24-26 visit to the Holy Land.
Jews also revere the site as the tomb of Kind David, which is on the ground floor of the same building. It is also important for Muslims.
The holy site is currently part of long-running negotiations over Holy Land property between Israel and the Vatican, which hopes to be given the right to use the site.
Hundreds of ultra-Orthodox Jews on Monday held a protest near the site, demanding that Israel retain sovereignty. They are also planning another demonstration on May 22 - just three days before Pope Francis arrives, the Times of Israel reports.
Israeli President Shimon Peres told an Italian newspaper during a visit to the Vatican last year that a compromise had been reached on the Cenacle, and that "99 percent" of the issues concerning the site had been addressed.
To share this story with a friend, click on one of the share icons at the top of this page.