Next Question
belief
Question from Richard Page on 03-29-2014:
I have strong belief that God's power and willingness to suspend natural law did not stop 2000 years ago or two days ago. He reprimanded the apostles for waking Him in a storm on the sea because he had already given them the authority over the weather if their faith was 100%. I believe that when we are in God's house and taking communion, the host will not transmit germs after being blessed. If we believe in the miraculous transformation to the literal body and blood of Christ it is not logical in the World's limited imagination but it is to a total Believer. My faith, therefore, says that when we offer the sign of peace in the mass that God forbids the transmission of germs as we shake hands in that context. My priest has been telling people this winter to offer each other the sign of peace without shaking hands. I asked him why after all these years the change. He said the bishops orders. It's common sense. Why do you questions that? I said as long as I have attended mass (I am 67) people have refused to take my hand if they were fearful without prompting from the priest. I respected them. But I told my priest I disagreed with the Bishop because my faith in God gives me full trust in his protection when asked and when I ask blessing on my food I have never gotten food poisoning when those around me did in the same place. The priest got angry about my not trusting the bishop's wisdom and took it personally, too. He said show me in scripture where it supports you. Well, I am sure that I could but in context other than this simple ritual. How would you respond to this test of faith?
Answer by Richard Geraghty on 05-04-2014:
Dear Richard,

It is not a matter of faith that we are immune from any disease because we bless our food, receive from the chalice, or shake hands. To take the normal precautions is the job of the Bishops. Let them be your guides. They are the appointed shepherds and we are the sheep.

Dr. Geragjty