Re: Mary, the mother of Jesus
Question from David McMahon on 01-01-2014:
Dear Dr. Geraghty, Although I worship in a different Christian church, I appreciate your work on this forum, and wish you a blessed New Year. The title "Mother of God" was bestowed by the Church, and is misleading to me. Mary is a creation of God, set apart for the most important part of His plan of salvation. She is indeed, by her cooperation in this plan, to be revered--but not worshipped. God is timeless, and chose Mary to be the mother of His Son, before creation as we know it began.
Answer by Richard Geraghty on 01-06-2014:
Dear David,

You are right. Mary is not to be worshiped because she is creature. Only Christ is to a worshipped because, although a man, a creature, he is also God. The Church does not teach the worship of Mary. She teaches us to honor her and pray to her for her intercession with Christ. She has a special relation to Christ because she is his mother. Since Christ is also God, she is the Mother of God. Even Martin Luther did this.