Previous Question
Creation
Question from FrankV on 11-23-2013:
Dear Doctor, we can determine a day is about 24 hours, a month is about 30 days and a year is about 365 days by observation. What observation gave us a 7 day week? Now if God is God, he is all powerful and he created everything from nothing. If that is true, why did it take 6 days? Wouldn't it be instantaneous? I am not completely sure, but my reading of St. Augustine is that what he said was why did it take so long.

Thank you, God bless you, Happy thanksgiving.

FrankV

Answer by Richard Geraghty on 11-24-2013:
Dear Frank,

Creation has to take place in an instant. There is no short or long transition from absolute nothingness to something. There can be a transition from what was created first to what develops later. The six days account takes time into account. St. Augustine does so without tying himself down to six days of twenty-four hours apiece. Thus we need have no difficulty with the scientific account telling us that millions of years existed before Adam and Eve appeared on this earth. If read according to the ways of ancient literature, the account in Genesis leaves plenty of room for development.

Dr. Geraghty (and Thanksgiving to you)