Previous Question
Having ovaries removed - prohibits marriage?
Question from Georgia on 05-15-2013:
Watching something on the news referencing some celebrity having ovaries removed because of cancer. Friend sitting here says having that done makes the woman sterile and when a woman or the guy is sterile, they can't get married in the Catholic church. Granted, in theory, a couple wouldn't learn of sterility til after marriage and trying to conceive, but sure, there IS cancer at younger ages, I can't imagine that perhaps a couple, well into wedding plans, and the girl learns she has cancer and they have to suddenly pretend they don't love each other anymore and not get married? Or the guy learns he has some problem with his male organs and has to go to his fiancé to say "wedding is off, I have a problem, we can't have kids." I simply cannot believe that people can be told that they can't be married because they've had some parts removed. Is it true?
Georgia

It is not true. People who are sterile for a variety of reasons can still get married in the Catholic Church. This is why the Church actively promotes adoption and ethical ways of reversing infertility, if that is possible.

When a situation like the one you describe exists, there is no intent on anyone's part to avoid procreation in marriage. The fact is disease happens, as you say, to people of all ages.