actual birth date of Jesus,Christmas
Question from Monique on 12-04-2012:
I ve been wondering why the birth day of Jesus was never actually in the bible, why do we celebrate it on the 25th of Dec.? Since I am taking bible classes I am very interested. Did the catholic church choose this day to take away the pagan traditions.?
Answer by Fr. John Echert on 12-04-2012:
Some Church Fathers speculated that the actual birth of Christ was in the spring, possibly in March. The date of 25 December was settled upon liturgically since it is the day upon which the length of day starts to exceed the length of night. As the Gospel of Saint John describes, was the Light coming into the darkness of the world. While some pagans also celebrate this date for the same purpose, Christianity has prevailed as the principal celebration for this date, at least until modern times--sad to say--at which time the pagans seem to have made inroads in world at large.

Thanks, Monique