Next Question
Books of the Bible
Question from Michael on 11-27-2012:
Father, I have a somewhat anti-catholic neighbor. He insists that the Catholic Church accepted the book of Deut. after the dead sea scrolls were found in 1947. I told him that I found that hard to believe. Also, do you know when the books of the Bible were established. Thank you very much. Michael
Answer by Fr. John Echert on 12-12-2012:
That is a bizarre claim, as even the ancient Jews in the time prior to Christ accepted Deuteronomy as part of the five books of the Pentateuch, attributed to Moses as author. Are you sure he does not have some other book of the Bible in mind? The canon of the Bible was officially declared by Pope Damasus in the Council of Rome of 382, following which Saint Jerome translated the original language manuscripts into the official Latin version commonly called the Vulgate.

Thanks, Michael