health insurance
Question from Anon on 07-20-2012:
I can obtain health insurance from one of two sources - a public institution which pays for abortion/ contraception or a Catholic source which under the state (NJ) must provide contraceptive coverage. The public source is much more affordable and this is a concern. I don't really "need" coverage but would like to have coverage and I have not intention of ever using the abortion /contraception options- is it morally okay to get coverage or would it be better to forgo it?

Thank you for your guidance!

Dear Anon

A person without health care coverage in today's culture is asking for trouble because if sickness does occur, health care costs are massive.

In the scenario you define, which includes coverage from both sources of what are intrinsic evils, I do not think either is a wholesome choice but the fact that the coverage includes contraception and abortion should not dissuade you from getting insurance. The public institution policy and the Catholic policy are both bad and could have been drafted differently in the beginning if those providing the coverage had cared about coverage that is in tune with Catholic teaching.

As it is today, the choices were made and we are stuck with the results.