Heaven and Family
Question from Anonymous on 04-25-2012:
A Mormon friend asked me - Where in the bible does it talk about families in heaven?

I guess being with your family is a type of heaven to followers of the Mormon religion ???

Thank you

Answer by David Gregson on 12-06-2012:
1 Thessalonians 4:17 speaks of those who are alive, when the Lord returns, being caught up to meet Him in the air, and being gathered with those who have returned with Him from heaven. Does it seem likely that family members would be excluded from this meeting, or that, prior to the Lord's return, they would be held in isolation from one another?

The Bible isn't explicit about our condition between death and the general resurrection. It's eschatological focus is on the new creation, when our bodies are raised and heaven and earth are united (Rev 21). But our love for one another is either commanded or assumed throughout the Bible. This is true especially in the case of our parents, our spouses, and our children. On earth, our love is imperfect. When perfected in heaven, our love will certainly include those we had special care for on earth.

As Catholics, we have not only Holy Scripture, but Holy Tradition. And Tradition is clear that we will be reunited with our loved ones in heaven (that is, of course, with all those who make it there). This belief is well expressed in the hymn, "Lead, Kindly Light," by Bl. John Henry Newman.

"So long thy power hath blest me, sure it still/ Will lead me on/ O'er moor and fen, o'er crag and torrent, till/ The night is gone;/ And with the morn those angel faces smile/ Which I have loved long since, and lost awhile."