Health Insurance???
Question from Mark on 03-20-2012:
Hi Judie, What am I supposed to do if I find out that my health insurance covers contraceptives? I never even thought about it until the Obama mandate and the Catholic church's disapproval. I thought that all insurance companies covered it. I am with the Church I'm against contraception. Is it a mortal sin to pay into a health insurance that covers contraception?
Mark It is not a sin to have health insurance that covers things that we do not as Catholics agree with or support. However there are some health insurance companies that provide the insured with options so that you can have a policy that does not cover things like contraception, sterilization and abortion.

However in light of the Obama mandate I am not certain that any insurance company will have the freedom to provide ethical alternatives. According to Michael O'Dea of Christus Medicus, the Obama mandate may be the final straw in that regard. Only time will tell. He is quoted in this report: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/11/us-usa-contraceptives-obama-idUSTRE8191GY20120211