Previous Question
Dating guidelines
Question from elizabeth on 08-02-2006:
My boyfriend and I have read the catechism, understand the fact that we will of course avoid intercourse until married and refrain from touching of genital areas, but have questions about a gray area. Is it okay to rub the other person's back and stomach under their clothes? Are there limits where kissing is concerned? What is considered heavy petting?

Thanks so much for your time.

Answer by David Gregson on 09-27-2006:
Expressions of affection are permissable, but not to the point of heavy breathing. Rubbing each other under your clothes would lead to that, as would French kissing. It's difficult nowadays, in a cultural atmosphere saturated with sex, to see the rationale for these restrictions, but Catholics should realize that our culture is sick and not allow themselves to be jaded by it. For the Catholic understanding of the relationship between men and women, I suggest Theology of the Body for Beginners, by Christopher West.