Fundamental Option being taught at my parish
Question from markie marie on 10-09-2002:
Dear father ,Thank you for your reply on the angels & devils ,In the Book "IN HIS LIGHT" by Rev.William A. Anderson published by Brown-roa which is being used in RCIA at my parish the author teaches something called the "Fundamental Option" After reading the Pope"S Encyclical THe Splendor of Truth ,I Understand he is against this teaching,I Asked elsewhere in the forum, and was told this is heretical,I asked everyone from the teacher ,pastor,bishops office and told them what EWTN said about it and all replyed EWTN is very narrow in their views,and there is more than one way to teach the faith,I need difinitive answers fast,I feel I'm swimming in a pool of sharks out here,But I totally trust EWTN,Can you Please clear this up once and for all.Thanks God Bless,Markie marie
Answer by Fr. John Echert on 10-09-2002:
I am glad to know that we at EWTN are narrow, as our Lord taught that the road to salvation is narrow, whereas the road to perdition is wide. And I would place the so-called "Fundamental Option" along the wide road, if by that title I understand the view that we are not necessarily objectively judged for individual acts of immorality, so much as a general disposition towards good or evil in each subject. I am always embarassed when someone new to Catholicism is confronted with such things early on, and can only hope that the Holy Spirit protects the tender faith--as appears to be happening in your case--and makes it an occasion for greater good, as so often seems to be the case. Stay tuned to EWTN, study the Catechism of the Catholic Church which is THE definitive summary of what we believe, and read good books, as recommended by our experts and many others who are affiliated with EWTN and other solid Roman Catholic sources.

God bless, Markie Marie