Annulment
Question from Tom Murray on 02-20-2014:

Dr. Geraghty,

I have been married for nearly 25 years with two adult children. I have always felt that an annulment should be awarded only in rare circumstances. I however find myself considering such a move.

During our dating / engagement all my relatives would remark, she always smiles and never seeems to get angry at anyone.

My future mother in-law, of all people, warned me that I really did not know her daughter. She said she had a bad temper. I did not take her seriously, from the day of our wedding I have wished I had.

Either my wife demeanor has gotten worse or my patience has shortened but I feel I have had enough.

I mentioned to both my children that I may divorce their mother, my daughter said, "it's about time"

Do I have grounds for an annulment?

Thanks

Answer by Richard Geraghty on 03-02-2014:

Dear Tom,

You have to talk about annulment with a priest whose mind is in union with the Church. Ask him if you have grounds. Whatever his answer is, you will have more grace to come to the right decision, whatever it is. I should add that EWTN have a lotos good programs on the difficulties of marriage. You might get into the habit of listening to them. We live in a screwed up world.

Dr. Graghty