Missing Mass
Question from Edward on 09-08-2013:

If I unintentionally missed Sunday Mass, do I need to go to confession before I can receive Communion again? I had wholeheartedly planned on going to the 5:30 PM Mass and it was 6:15 PM before I realized that I had missed the last Mass at my parish.

Edward--

Ordinarily there is no such thing as an unintentional sin. If something is done unintentionally, it is not a sin. That said, there is also such a thing as "faux forgetfulness," the kind of forgetfulness some people develop so as to excuse themselves for not doing something they should have done. I must say that it is really difficult to imagine that you suddenly looked up at 6:15 PM on a Sunday and realized you missed the last Mass of the day.

While I cannot say that you must go to confession for missing Mass, I will say it would be a good idea. Even if this was only a venial sin, the grace received in confession may help you to be more diligent next time in getting to Mass on Sundays and holy days of obligation.