Gay
Question from lroy on 08-02-2013:

Can you please put in the correct context exactly what Pope Francis said about gays?

The main stream media makes it sounds like we should accept the LGBT lifestyle...and I don't think that's what the pope meant.

Dear Laurel

American Life League issued an official statement on this the day after the Holy Father's comments were made. It says

The mainstream media is attempting to twist the words of Pope Francis into something the Holy Father did not say. The New York Times is running a headline that says, “On Gay Priests, Pope Francis Asks, 'Who Am I to Judge?'” The Washington Post is claiming, “Pope Francis calls for inclusion of gays in society, saying he has no right to ‘judge’.”

Pope Francis only said: "When I meet a gay person, I have to distinguish between his being gay and being part of a lobby. If they accept the Lord and have goodwill, who am I to judge them? They shouldn't be marginalized. The tendency [to homosexuality] is not the problem . . . they're our brothers." In the fullest sense, this means rejection of sin and avoiding the near occasions of sin, which by extension also means rejection of active homosexuality in all of its forms and implications. Pope Francis affirms this perspective by adding, “The tendency [to homosexuality] is not the problem.”

Contrary to media spin, and as Cardinal Dolan stated this morning, "In no way can the Pope’s remarks be interpreted as a change in church doctrine or the church’s faith and morals.”

That is to say, temptation is not sin but acting upon it is. This is not news, let alone even new.