morality of taking "life-threatening" drugs
Question from marie on 04-17-2013:

A question has been bugging me for a long time, and I'd like to know your opinion. My questions is not about the obviously immoral drugs that cause abortion, but about those drugs that are deemed so dangerous that they may pose a risk of suicidal thoughts. One such drug is Lyrica, prescribed for neuropathic pain and the like. My own conscience tells me that taking such drugs would be the same as inviting the "near occasion of sin" - very serious sin. These drugs do not save lives, but could actually facilitate destroying them. What is your view?

Marie

One of the rules of thumb we use in hearing about new drugs is this: if the side effects outweigh the possible benefits, forget it.

This is not a moral evaluation though I would add that your insightful reasons are equally as valid as my own.

If one believe that a drug presents a near occasion of sin, then no, of course we should not agree to take it.