"pro-lifers" with exceptions
Question from Anonymous on 11-11-2012:

Dear Judie, I have such a hard time understanding how the minds of people who say they are pro-life and that abortion is wrong except in the case of rape or incest can even accept such exceptions. If they believe that life begins at conceptions, don't they believe life begins at conception for all, including those conceived in rape or incest? What is the matter with these "pro-lifers"? How can we make them see that they are contradicting themselves?

Dear Anonymous

Since I have been attempting to change such minds for nearly 40 years, I have come to the conclusion that there are many whose intentions may be honorable but whose political "savvy" gets in the way of their logic. Therefore they excuse their support for exceptions by pointing the finger at those of us who do not and define us as zealots.

As a very wise priest said to me, "it is always easier to call someone you disagree with a name rather than develop a logical argument, particularly if you have no logical argument. BOTTOM LINE: Never admit you might be wrong."

This is also defined as the sin of pride.

Judie