pro choice at catholic school assembly
Question from katie n on 11-07-2012:

My daughter attends a Catholic school in the New York Archdioce - it is a private school. At her assembly - the day before election day, they watched a movie - a feminist movie - how to empower woman - people in the audience cheering (teachers and students). At the end of thte movie, the teacher stood in front of the room and went on to say that she is Pro choice and woman should be able to do what they want with their bodies. I found this very disheartening. I spend a great deal of money to send my child to a Catholic school because I would think they would be teaching her virtuous things! This is far from virtue. What am I to do? I wrote the principal a letter and am waiting to hear from her. Please Help.

What a travesty. You did not say what grade your daughter is in. If your daughter is in elementary school, then the pastor of the Catholic Church where the school is located has responsibility for what is taught there. You should bring this matter to the pastorís attention immediately.

If your daughter is in a Catholic High School run by the diocese, then you should immediately contact the diocesan offices. Cardinal Dolan is a good bishop and is very strongly pro-life. I am sure he would personally get involved if the diocesan staff did not straighten this out immediately. The Sisters of Life are also headquartered in the New York Diocese and I am sure they would be willing to provide a speaker to talk with the students at an assembly.