The Seven Archangels
Question from SA on 10-23-2012:

Who are the seven archangels, apart from St. Michael, St. Gabriel and St. Raphael? I am asking this because I usually also pray to the "other archangels" - St. Barachiel, St. Uriel, St. Judiel and St. Sealtiel. I would just like to confirm if they are indeed the four other archangels (because they are not mentioned in the Bible, nor did I find them mentioned in any Catholic doctrine - pls correct me if I'm wrong on that). Thanks and God bless you.

Answer by Richard Geraghty on 10-25-2012:

Dear SA,

The following note should answer your question;

The Sacred Scriptures have revealed the proper names of only three Angels, all of whom belong to the Choir of the Archangels. The names are well known to all, namely: Michael, Gabriel, Raphael. Ancient apocryphal literature of the Old Testament contains several other names of Archangels in addition to the three just mentioned. Like the sources themselves, these other names are spurious. Names like Uriel, Raguel, Sariel, and Jeremiel are not found in the canonical books of Sacred Scripture, but in the apocryphal book of Enoch, fourth book of Esdras,[1] and in rabbinical literature. The Church does not permit proper names of Angels that are not found in the canonical books of the Bible.