Faith
Question from anonymous on 08-11-2012:

Dear Dr. Geraghty: I am very discouraged. At times, it seems my faith hasn't grown at all since I was a child in spite of all the rosaries I've said, masses I've attended,confessions I've made, books I've read, and holy hours I have made;in spite of partaking of the sacraments as per church teaching and pilgrimiges I have made. It seems that I am on a roller coaster ride where I fervently believe everything the church teaches and I am very happy in that belief and then something happens to cast doubt into my mind, like say, something a person of authority says or does, and that's it. It shatters my faith and I don't know what's true anymore.I still go to church and pray but I feel that I shouldn't be there because I don't feel anything and I don't want to offend God by pretending to be a believer in what the church teaches. My gut feeling is that there is a God, evidenced by the beauty around us, and that never leaves me. However, beyond that, I feel that everything else may have been made up, although I love Jesus Christ, but was he really the son of God? It's hard to believe in anything when most things can be explained away. Then, for the same reasons, I go back to being a fervent believer again. It seems, though, that I can't make a permanent decision one way or the other and I am 66, timing is running out.What do I do?

Answer by Richard Geraghty on 09-08-2012:

Dear Anon,

Remember that faith is not a feeling. If it were just a feeling you would have been a better believer when you were young. But at the age of 66 you still believe. Keep praying for some peace in your belief. Remember the prayer of the man in Gospel who said "Lord I believe. Help thou my unbelief."