reading the bible
Question from ana on 06-17-2011:

i want to start reading the bible, but i don't know where to start, please help...thank you & God bless

Answer by Colin B. Donovan, STL on 08-03-2011:

I would start with the Gospels, which are the glory of the Scriptures. You could alternate that with an Old Testaments text, perhaps Genesis, as in the first chapters of it we find the proto-Gospel, explaining how God will repair the fall of Man through Christ (esp. Gen. 3:15).

But, in fact, there is no necessary approach to doing this; you can read the Bible in whatever order you like, or yopu could follow one of the many Bible reading plans, such as Jeff Cavin's and Scott Hahn's "Great Adventure." The advantage of guided reading program IS that it is guided, and Scott and Jeff do a great job of it. You can find more information at biblestudyforcatholics.com and find many of the biblestudy aids at ewtnreligiouscatalogue.com. Catalogue also has their TV series done on EWTN on this subject.

However, if you choose to move at your own pace and in your own way, you will find having a good commentary handy will be a big help. I recommend two, especially: the Navarre Bible (which is also a commentary) and the Ignatius Catholic Study Bible. Both are available in volumes by book and as compiliations of several books, so that you need only buy what you are reading at the time. Or you can buy the complete collection if you want to jump around between books. You could also use either commentary to study the liturgical text of each day, a very laudable spiritual practice.