Communion to the homebound
Question from LaDonna on 3/5/2014:

I work at a hospital and sometimes I see the EMHCs bringing Communion to the sick. I sometimes am asked if I would like to receive. Once I was asked and I had just had lunch 15 minutes prior. I told them that I had just eaten and they said it was all right to receive since I am working with sick. Is it permissible for me to receive?

LaDonna--

The EMHCs are correct that those who care for the ill are dispensed from the Communion fast requirement. They are dead wrong to be offering Communion to anyone other than the sick person to whom they have been delegated to distribute Communion. They have no business taking any "extra" hosts anywhere, and should only have the exact number on hand that they need to distribute to those on the homebound list.

Bottom line: You can receive Communion if you wish under the circumstances you describe, but I strongly urge you to inform the pastor of the parish at which these EMHCs are getting hosts that the EMHCs are inappropriately distributing Communion.