Organized religion
Question from Amy on 11/24/2013:

My little girl said to me she doesn't believe in organized religion. She is 17. What do I say or do? I said everything I could think of. Please help.

Amy--

Your daughter was undoubtedly hoping to upset and scandalize you, and evidently has succeeded. Had you simply raised an eyebrow and said, "Then it's a good thing you're Catholic, isn't it?" she might have been startled enough to re-think her assertion. It may also have opened a discussion into the meaning of religion, and why even religions thought to be "organized" on the surface may be highly disorganized in practice.

While I understand that hindsight has its advantages in crafting snappy comebacks, the point is that parents must not allow their children to upset or scandalize them with assertions of this nature about religion. Even if you could not come up with a snappy comeback in the moment, you could at least have said (and can still do now), "Hmmm. That's an interesting statement. I think you should write me an essay defending your assertion. I'd like to see from you a 10-page essay, typed and fully footnoted, by Saturday [or whenever seems reasonable and fills up some of her free time]."

Kids your daughter's age have two basic needs: To separate their identity from their parents' identities, and to have their parents provide strong boundaries for them while doing so.