DNR orders
Question from Carolyn Bedell on 8/1/2013:

What is the moral teaching regarding DNR orders for an elderly person, with Parkinsons and other issues, suffering from cardiac arrest?

Carolyn

The subject of DNR orders is risky business. On its face, there is probably nothing wrong with such an order if the specific intentions of the person requesting the order are clear and IF the family and treating physicians or other medically trained people are not interested in premature death for the patient or in taking a vital organ that might cause death.

In other words, a DNR can be a slippery slope. In the specific case that you ask about, I would have to know what the patient wishes with some specificity before I could ask an expert about it.