Contraception
Question from Rose Cassidy on 7/6/2013:

I have quite bad acne, I've tried a variation of tablets and none have worked so they have presented the option of the contraceptive pill to me, it is to my understanding Catholics are against using the pill, or most contraception for reasons like life is sacred, abortion is murder and children are gifts from God etc, but my question is that would it be wrong for me to use the pill to help my acne, when i am still a virgin, not at all sexually active and do not think i will be for the foreseeable future?

Rose

Here is Dr. Anthony Dardano's advice to someone with the same situation:

The birth control pill has had some success in treating severe acne and could be a treatment option in a case such as you describe. First let me say that the birth control pill in itself is a drug not without some serious side effects such as abnormal blood clotting, stroke, high blood pressure, etc., which would require monitoring by a physician who is well familiar with the drug. The birth control pill may be ethically used in the celebrate woman since the immoral side of contraception and abortifacient effects are not an issue and therefore the therapy in your case would not be against our Catholic faith.

May God bless you for your good intentions.

Anthony N Dardano, MD, FACOG, FACS