More on Evolution
Question from Tony on 6/27/2013:

Dear Judy,

The following is something that I have asked others in the Church and I have not received a good answer yet. I know this is not your expertise, but since I know where your heart resides and you are always so honest with your answers, I was wondering if you can get someone to answer my commentss below about the Evolutiion Theory:

The following are the Catholic Church official teachings that are related to the Evolution Theory. Remember that at the time these statements were made, there were no controversies between creation vs evolution, so we must read them in that context. The concensus of the Church was to believe in creation. Here are some statements from different councils and Pope Leo the XIII : In 1215 at the 4th Lateran Council, this dogmatic statement was made: “[God] who by His own omnipotent power at once from the beginning of time created each creature from nothing, spiritual, and corporal, namely, angelic and mundane, and finally the human, constituted as it were, alike of the spirit and the body.”

in 1860 the Council of Cologne condemned the idea of human evolution in very straightforward words: "Our first parents were formed immediately by God. Therefore we declare that...those who...assert...man...emerged from spontaneous continuous change of imperfect nature to the more perfect, is clearly opposed to Sacred Scripture and to the Faith."

Ten years later, Vatican Council I in 1870, stated the following in Session III, Chapter 1: “[God] immediately from the beginning of time fashioned each creature out of nothing, spiritual and corporeal, namely, angelic and mundane; and then the human creation, common as it were, composed of both spirit and body.”

Pope Leo XIII, in his 1880 encyclical Arcanum Divinae Sapientiae, stated this about Creation: "We record what is to all known, and cannot be doubted by any, that God, on the sixth day of creation, having made man from the slime of the earth, and breathed into his face the breath of life, gave him a companion, whom He miraculously took from the side of Adam when he was locked in sleep."

Those are all official Church documments and I really struggle with this unofficial position of the Church today where Catholics are allowed to believe in evolution. I see evolution (macro) as a philosophy that was invented to deny the existence of God. I see too many inconsistencies between the evolution theory and the Bible teachings. The Bible is consistent with creation and does not conflict with it, in both the Old and New Testament.

I am a traditional Catholic that loves the Church and beliefs all of its teachings, but I really strugle with this unofficial teaching. Can you please help !!

Thanks for all your great work in the pro-life arena, we need more Judy Browns.

God Bless Tony

Tony

This is not really my area of expertise. I can explain however that I struggle with some of the teachings that appear at times to be at odds with each other, and that is when I pray for wisdom and understanding.

The best article I have read on this subject (Catholic teaching and evolution) is this one: http://www.catholic.com/tracts/adam-eve-and-evolution

This article is a good place to start reflecting on how we humans could never know the mind of God, but understand that He is ultimately the Creator of everything including you and me.

Judie