Kathleen and Judie re: Homosexual children
Question from Barbara on 5/31/2013:

Dear Judie:

Adult homosexuals have long reported that they were aware they were 'different' from a very early age. Homosexuality is much more than physical sexual acts, just as being identified as male or female is much more than one's reproductive organs.

As I understand it, the Boy Scouts ban children who self identify as homosexual and do not conceal this fact. Up to now, for a boy whose orientation was homosexual it was necessary to 'stay in the closet' in order to be a member of the scouts. The new policy no longer requires homosexual members to pretend they are heterosexual. This has nothing to do with sexual activity as such but other attributes, such as having interests or mannerisms that the society generally considers to be gender specific.

I don't know if homosexuals are being used as pawns or by whom and would not presume to speak for them, but as I understand it, most resent the need to hide their true natures and conform to gender based expectations to avoid adverse treatment, and pretend to be something they are not.

So, I am still confused. Should the scouts and the priesthood ban homosexuals? Should they be banned from other Catholic organizations? If they should be banned from any one organization, why not all? If not all, then why one? Mine isn't a question of politics, but of consistency.

Dear Barbara

Yes, the Scouts and the priesthood should take every precaution not to admit a homosexual into a troop or a seminary in the case of the priesthood.

Other than those two instances, where long standing Christian principles and Catholic teaching have been in place and respected, there are other organizations and activities that should not discriminate against a homosexual person though they take a well defined position on the sins of homosexuality in practice.

I think you are attempting to define legitimate teaching and policy as some sort of discrimination, and of course you are incorrect. As the Catholic Church states regarding the homosexual in the seminary, http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/congregations/ccatheduc/documents/rc_con _ccatheduc_doc_20051104_istruzione_en.html

"Deep-seated homosexual tendencies, which are found in a number of men and women, are also objectively disordered and, for those same people, often constitute a trial. Such persons must be accepted with respect and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. They are called to fulfil God's will in their lives and to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter[8].

"In the light of such teaching, this Dicastery, in accord with the Congregation for Divine Worship and the Discipline of the Sacraments, believes it necessary to state clearly that the Church, while profoundly respecting the persons in question[9], cannot admit to the seminary or to holy orders those who practise homosexuality, present deep-seated homosexual tendencies or support the so-called "gay culture"[10]. "

The Catechism of the Catholic teaches:

2357 Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity, tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered." They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved.

Please note that Catechism further states this about the homosexual person:

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition.

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection.

I hope these quotes are helpful to you.