Parish Priest
Question from Stephie on 4/15/2013:

Dear Dr. Geraghty,

I attended the same parish for ten years, and never once did I get that amazing feeling that mass should supply. I hardly every prayed, and the priests were truly uninspiring. The only way to describe what I was feeling is lukewarm, and cafeteria like. Last summer I switched parishes and I came upon a lovely little chapel. Ever since I've been going there it has jump-started my love and devotion to God. The reason for this is the parish priest. He is downright wonderful! He makes the mass come alive for me, and he is a caring person that really cares about the problems of the people in the parish. I now actually look forward to mass. He has also inspired me to pursue a career in theology and apologetics. The problem is that if I go to mass where he is not the priest, I don't enjoy it as much. I still adore the mass itself, but that specific priest just has a special spark for me. I was discussing this with my sister and she reminded me that "He is not the Church". I look up to this man as my spiritual director, and a leading inspiration in my life, but is it possible that this level of adoration is bad? His wisdom doesn't take away from the mass, but rather adds to it's beauty. He is very traditional and helps everything flow in the mass. I don't feel like he is the high priest and we are the people. He makes us feel like we are one, celebrating the sacrifice together.

Any thoughts you might have on this would be appreciated! Thank you and God bless you!

Sincerely, Stephie

Dear Stephie,

Count yourself blessed!