Confirmation sponsors
Question from L.R. on 4/15/2013:

I understand parents cannot be godparents/sponsors for their child. My question is can a Catholic confirmed adult be the sponsor for his or her parent?

L.R.--

Canon law does not forbid it, but in my opinion it is a bad idea. Baptismal and confirmation sponsors hold a place of spiritual authority in the life of their godchild or confirmation candidate. To expect a child, even one who is now an adult, to do so for a parent can be deeply problematic. Even adult children owe appropriate respect for the moral and spiritual authority of their parents, and to invert that relationship is not wise. I can only recommend that the adult child help his or her parent to find another appropriate and qualified sponsor.