Pesach and Last Supper
Question from Daniel on 3/21/2013:

It is my understanding that Jesus was celebrating the Passover Seder during what we call the Last Supper. When I related this to a Jewish friend of mine, he said, "Oh. Which night of Passover?" I did not know what to say. Is it known at what point during Pesach the Last Supper took place?

Daniel--

According to John, Jesus was crucified on the day of preparation for the Passover (John 19:14), which would mean that Pesach had not yet begun. But all three of the other Gospel writers insist that Jesus had a Passover meal with his disciples (cf. Matt. 26:18-19, Mark 14:12-16, Luke 22:8-15). Although scholars have argued strenuously over the meaning of the apparent conflict in the accounts, there is a simple possibility: Jesus, being God himself, and thus having full knowledge of his impending death and full authority to adjust holy day rituals accordingly, chose to anticipate the Passover by celebrating the ritual meal with his disciples one day early.