Sunday obligation
Question from Lisa on 3/20/2013:

I currently work nights and am lucky enough to attend a church that has a 5 PM Sunday Mass. However, I have a chance to work days but it would mean that every fourth week I will work all day Saturday and Sunday. Does a weekly Mass, also offered at my church, fulfill the Sunday obligation?

Lisa--

No, daily Mass does not fulfill the Sunday obligation. If you absolutely cannot get to Mass on a Sunday or holy day because of work obligations, then the obligation can be dispensed. Talk to your pastor about that.

I will say though that it seems strange that you would be working 48 straight hours with absolutely no personal time. Many parishes offer early morning Masses on Sunday (sometimes as early as 6 or 7 o'clock in the morning). Check with your pastor or your diocese to find out which parishes offer early Masses on Sunday. If there is a parish near you that does offer an early-morning Sunday Mass, then you have an obligation to go to that Mass during your weekend shift if it is reasonably possible to do so.