Saints and Purgatory
Question from Hannah on 1/15/2013:

Father,

I hope your doing well, Father. I have a question for you. What does the Church say on the canonized Saints going to Purgatory before Heaven? I know they are in Heaven since that's what canonization means. They weren't perfect so didn't they have to go to Purgatory? Thank you so much, Father. :)

Canonization, of itself, reveals that a particular soul is in Heaven and does not preclude the possiblity that the soul now in Heaven was previously in Purgatory. In the case of martyrs, however, we assume that the soul is granted a heavenly crown immediately following death, without passing Go or spending time in Purgatory :)

Thanks, Hannah