Holy Eucharist
Question from Ananymous on 1/12/2013:

For many years at our Church,the substance used for the Holy Eucharistic Bread has been a 1/2" thick bread that is made by various people in our parish.Over the past year or so I began to question why this type of bread is used while every other Church that I would attend were using the thin round wafer for the Eucharist Bread. Some answers that I got from a few faithful Catholics from other churchs and 2 other parish Priests actually is that the substance used could prevent from becoming valid matter (Holy Eucharist Bread).Needless to say I have been very concerned and distraught about this possibility. 2 people plus the priest get up at the alter to break the bread into small pieces for serving. 4-5 months ago at the end of Holy Mass I noticed a few small portions of consecrated bread had been left on the Alter table.Because of the rush after Mass I decided to call the Priest when I got home and he said he would look after it. About a month or so ago I saw a few crumbs of this consecrated bread again left on the Alter after Mass. and notified one of the extraordinary Eucharistic ministers , in which case she went and removed the portions.During a weekly Mass i asked our priest why they use thyis type of bread, he said it was because it gives a number of people a chance to partake in this bread making ministry. Recently while receiving the Holy Eucharist in my hand a small portion ( crumb )fell between my fingers to the floor so I bent down to pick it up could not see it but I noticed a small piece on the floor that someone before me had dropped and had been walked on. I picked It up and consumed it at my seat. Please give me some answers and direction as to my grave concerns.

Dear Anon,

The Church requires that unleavened bread be used for the Eucharist, not regular leavened bread. This is a serious matter. It should be brought to the attention of the proper authorities, which in this case would be the Pastor or even the Bishop.