Re: Re: Embyo With Three Parents
Question from anonymous on 12/14/2012:

"There is no valid purpose for eliminating human beings who may suffer from a genetic disorder. The simple description of such a practice is eugenics and it is wrong."

They didn't eliminate a human being because of a genetic disorder, they attempted to CURE that disorder with no fatal harm to any human life. Eugenics are population based and have no connection to this case. Again, I agree that it was ethically questionable, I just can't imagine where an assocation with Frankenstein could come from which implies that this was evil and done out of hubris.

Anonymous

Rebecca Taylor, bioethics expert, responded to the 3-parent embryo controversy this way:

"Curing mitochondrial disease is a laudable goal. But this is not the way to do it. Both proposed techniques create and manipulate human life in a dish. The first creates two embryos, destroying one to make a hybrid third. I wonder how many embryos have to be destroyed to have one success. The second manipulates the egg and then creates an embryo with an altered egg. And while this method would be less morally objectionable than the first, it still requires that life be created in a lab and not in the best, safest and most loving place: inside a mother’s body."

SEE: http://www.lifenews.com/2012/06/14/british-bioethics-council-gives-ok- to-three-parent-embryo/

On the same subject Professor Dianne Irving is quoted in an interview with LifeSiteNews:

Dianne Irving commented to LSN, “Why they continue to try to clone humans is very questionable when the researchers know - or should know (but probably don't) - that the science won't work.”

She said the research sounded more like a case of “wooing research grants and Nobel prizes” than a “sincere attempts to help vulnerable women” who are led to believe that they can have a healthy child from the procedure.

“It would seem that IVF clinics and laboratories have turned into nothing more than a huge monstrous source of human biological ‘parts’ for use by wacko researchers.”