Can a heart be too open?
Question from roxanne on 12/2/2012:

Judie, I've read that the best way to feel close to God is to approach life with an open heart. I believe I've done this, which has made me feel very vulnerable, yet it seems I am forever getting hurt by others. Perhaps getting hurt is not the worst thing that can happen to us, as we're supposed to become more connected to Christ in our suffering, just as he suffered on the cross. I wonder if this is true, and my suffering is meant to bring me closer to God, or am I allowing myself to become too vulnerable to others because I've misunderstood this notion of having an open heart. Judie, do you have any suggestions that might guide me in this area?

Dear Roxanne

We can have an open heart and also exercise prudence in the way we approach others and the extent to which we trust them with our feelings, our friendship and our love. It seems to me that we would be wise if each of us spent more time evaluation who the Holy Spirit endowed us at Confirmation with His seven gifts and how we can best use them as we imitate Christ.

SEVEN GIFTS OF THE HOLY SPIRIT: http://www.ewtn.com/faith/teachings/spira3.htm