Why does the book of Genesis use God in the plural tense!
Question from Tom K on 12/1/2012:

In the first book of the bible Genesis it reads,

26 Then God said, “Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground.”

27 So God created mankind in his own image, in the image of God he created them; male and female he created them.

Why did the Jewish writers write Let us make mankind in our image...referrencing the plural tense when they believed in only a one God...I know, as a Catholic, there is God, the father, Jesus Christ his son and the holy ghost...but I thought the Jewish faith only acknowledged one God, why the plural referrence?

Dear Tom,

I have heard that there is something about the Hebrew language that make the plural usage possible. Yes, it is curious.