morning after pill
Question from anon on 11/6/2012:

Hi Judie,

thank you for your response to my question about the morning after pill and rape cases.

I am still concerned as I know that the morning after pill is still used in Catholic hospitals in Australia for treatment in rape cases. i am sure there is strict protocol followed. I do not want to follow the issue up because, as i mentioned before, i am quite scrupulous and can get quite anxious and bound up in researching this kind of thing. i am also a busy mother of 4 small children and my focus needs to be on my family. Although i would like to know that someone is following this issue up. I am wondering if you could reassure me that someone is following this up in Australia???

You said that the catholic bishops in australia 'must' know. then why is the morning after pill still used in rape cases???

Do you think it is reasonable for me to leave this issue now and trust that someone is taking care of it much higher up than me, and for me to focus on my precious family???

I would really appreciate your response. Below is a copy of the original question and answer that i posted.

Thank you very much. look forward to your reply. God Bless. Anon

Hi Judie, i wrote to you the other day regarding the morning after pill in rape cases. this was your reply...

Dear Anonymous.

I cannot comment on the book Catholicism for Dummies as I have not read it. However, I can comment on the “morning after pill,” which is also known as “emergency contraception” (EC). EC is a drug that is taken after sex to try and prevent “pregnancy.” It is basically a mega-dose of the birth control pill. It shares the same methods of operation as the pill. It can work by: (1) preventing ovulation; (2) preventing fertilization; or (3) preventing implantation. This last method, of course, makes EC an abortifacient. Back in 2003, when EC was being introduced in the United States, American Life League did a statistical analysis of how frequently it would cause an abortion. Our analysis showed, “In cases where Emergency Contraception [sic] has an effect, it acts 57% of the time, not by preventing ovulation, but by preventing implantation [thus killing a human being].” You can read the full analysis at: http://www.all.org/article/index/id/MjQ3MQ/

My Question is do catholic bishops in Australia know this information, because apparently they still use the morning after pill to treat rape victims at a large Catholic hospital in Sydney, Australia called St Vincent'd Hospital.They do a test first (i think blood test) to work out if ovulation has occurred.

I am quite scrupulous and this is concerning me. do the bishops already know or do i have an obligation to let them know? I would very much appreciate your response.

Thank you, anon Answer by Judie Brown on 10-21-2012: The whole subject of the protocol in cases of rape has been discussed at the highest levels within the Church. Assuredly, the Australian bishops must be aware of the problems. For a detailed discussion of this matter, I invite you to read the following article on our website: http://www.all.org/article/index/id/MTA1NTc/ Judie Brown

I think, as you say, that it may be time for you to concentrate on your precious family and trust Someone higher is taking care of of the morning after pill issue. There are times when we have to trust in God and let Him take care of particular issues in His time. In the meantime, we continue to pray that the truth will win out.

God bless and keep you and your family.