Purgatory/Lucia's friend Amelia
Question from Paul on 10/28/2012:

Good morning,

Lucia asked the Virgin Mary at Fatima the status of the soul of her deceased friend named Amelia, and Mary stated that her friend was in purgatory until the end of time, or something similar. Seems a harsh sentence for a teenage peasant girl from a hundred years ago. Makes me fear for the rest of us. Is there any part/inference from the story I am missing? Thank you very much for your answer.

Dear Paul,

You get the point. You seem to assume that a peasant girl living a hundred years ago cannot be that sinful. Do you really think that. At any rate we in this age of having good self esteem may be a lot more evil that we think. That is why the Church has the Pope, the Bishops and everyone else on down confess their sins at the beginning of Mass in saying "Through my fault, through my fault, through my most grievous fault".