Medical Justification for abortion
Question from Nancy on 10/18/2012:

30 years ago I was taught that if a woman had a life threatening condition(perhaps a tubal pregnancy) that this was the only exemption that a faithful Catholic woman could procure an abortion for. It is rare and the reason for the abortion was not the original intention of the pregnancy. In fact, the woman did not desire the abortion but rather desired the baby to be born. Problem: I can't find the explanation for this in the Catholic Cathechism or any other Catholic resource books I own. The women in my prayer group tell me I am mistaken but I know I have heard and read about this exception in the past. My husband calls this the Hobson question. God does not deem the mother's life less valuable than thechild's and vice-versa. Therefore, it is not a mortal sin to save the life of the mother (who may have other children to care for at home) in this extreme circumstance. I need a serious answer to take back to my class. Please help me andtell me which resource I can find this information in. Thank you.

Dear Nancy,

Please see the following, which is taken from our American Life League website . . . www.all.org . . . under the "Education/Abprtion" section. I hope it is helpful to you.

The mother’s life This excuse for allowing abortion sounds reasonable. If the pregnancy is threatening the mother’s life, it would seem that lethal force — an abortion — would be a permissible form of self-defense. The child is not really "attacking" the other, but his presence puts her at risk. It sounds like a good argument, but it simply isn’t true. Hundreds of doctors have a signed a statement that puts the situation in perspective. The statement reads, "There is never a situation in the law or in the ethical practice of medicine where a preborn child’s life need be intentionally destroyed by procured abortion for the purpose of saving the life of the mother. A physician must do everything possible to save the lives of both of his patients, mother and child. He must never intend the death of either." A tubal (or ectopic) pregnancy, for instance, can indeed be life-threatening. But the treatment, even if it is fatal to the child, is not a "procured abortion." The doctor wants to save the baby, but knows that is unlikely. The baby’s death is an unintended consequence of the physician’s effort to save the mother. There are similar cases involving the treatment of cancer in which the baby’s death can be an unintended consequence. But again, these are medical treatments, not abortion. It is important to distinguish between direct abortion, which is the intentional and willed destruction of a preborn child, and a legitimate treatment a pregnant mother may choose to save her life. Operations that are performed to save the life of the mother-such as the removal of a cancerous uterus or an ectopic pregnancy that poses the threat of imminent death-are considered indirect abortions. They are justified under a concept called the "principle of double effect." Under this principle, the death of the child is an unintended effect of an operation independently justified by the necessity of saving the mother’s life. Essentially, both mother and child should be treated as patients. A doctor should try to protect both. However, in the course of treating a woman, if her child dies, that is not considered abortion. "Today it is possible for almost any patient to be brought through pregnancy alive, unless she suffers from a fatal disease such as cancer or leukemia, and if so, abortion would be unlikely to prolong, much less save the life of the mother." -Alan Guttmacher, former Planned Parenthood president "There are no conceivable clinical situations today where abortion is necessary to save the life of the mother. In fact, if her health is threatened and an abortion is performed, the abortion increases risks the mother will incur regarding her health." -Dr. Bernard Nathanson, American Bioethics Advisory Commission There is only one purpose for abortion — ending the life of the child. The "life of the mother" situation for abortion is simply bogus. See also "Abortion — NOT Even When the Pregnancy Threatens the Life of the Mother?" at http://www.all.org/upload/2010/02/23/1013.pdf

The Latest ALL Report Exposes How Planned Parenthood is Hooking Kids on Sex Warning: This video is not appropriate for children. Larger Versions

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Character limit: 200]

Nothing Noble about THIS Nobel Prize

by Leslie Tignor

Oct

15 Today’s guest commentary addresses the recent awarding of the Nobel Prize to two recipients whose research should not be condoned or accepted by the pro-life community. American Life League’s Leslie Tignor explains why this is so. Read on for her insights.

Continue Reading...

Archive ››

Negotiating Your Way to Hell

by Judie Brown

Oct

12 In just a few short weeks, our nation will be casting votes in both local and national elections. While some may act disinterested or think these elections hold little importance, we must realize that the opposite is true. Our country cannot, and should not, be run on policies created outside of God’s law and with no respect or attention given to the truths taught by Our Lord. This will only lead to our nation’s downfall. What do we do in order to cast a vote in accordance with these truths? Today’s commentary addresses this.

Continue Reading...

Archive ››

The Catholic Campaign for Human Development - An Update

by Michael Hichborn

Oct

10 Today’s guest commentary discusses the ongoing financial support by the Catholic Campaign of Human Development of organizations that are not worthy to receive its funds. American Life League has been compiling information and is nearly ready to release what it has found. Read on for more about one specific recipient of this funding.

Continue Reading...

Archive ››

Fungible Human Rights for Negotiable Human Beings

by Judie Brown

Oct

09 Somehow we, as a human race, have gotten it into our heads that babies are either something to be desired or not, something to be controlled or destroyed, or something to be tinkered with. Gone is the notion that human beings are created in the image and likeness of God and, thus, should be respected and cherished. Here are the days of doing whatever we want with our bodies and the babies created—no matter how—for whatever selfish reason we may deem acceptable. Today’s commentary addresses this mentality. Read on for Judie Brown’s insights.

Continue Reading...

Archive ››

The Folly of Pandering to Public Opinion

by Judie Brown

Oct

05 The Bible teaches the parable of the shepherd who lost a sheep and, through this, we have come to realize just how valuable and special each and every soul is to our Lord. The loss of even one sheep—one soul—is not acceptable. Thus is the case with abortion. The loss of one human life can never be acceptable or considered okay, no matter the circumstances. In a few weeks, voters in Florida will decide whether to approve an amendment to the state constitution. Today’s commentary explains the flaws in this proposal and how it will not truly protect the sanctity of life.

Continue Reading...

Archive ››

© American Life League, Inc. 501(c)3 non-profit | privacy policy | contact us | site map | RSS Feed

P.O. Box 1350, Stafford, VA 22555