Abortion as a wedge issue, morality
Question from DK on 9/11/2012:

If abortion and only certain other topics are seen as extremely important to the Church, and the Church does not speak to other issues, abortion, etc can be used for political gain at the expense of the poor, the environment, etc. An example, if I'm a politician who wants to cut benefits for the poor, or allow harmful chemicals to be used somewhere....all I have to do is be against abortion and some other issues and I will get the Church's blessing without any scrutiny of the harmful things that I'd like to do. Or is this not the case?

Dear DK

First of all the Church does not endorse candidates or give their blessings to particular politicians as that would be a violation of their tax status. Secondly, if an individual is sincerely dedicated to respect for the dignity of the innocent person, he will not be in favor of oppressing the poor and so forth.

You are confusing moral principles with partisan politics. In case you do not already know it, the vast majority of those Republicans who claim to be pro-life, for example, are barely against some surgical abortion, so one would have to say they have taken hypocritical positions for the sake of political expediency.

Lying is also a sin.