Fighting
Question from Anonymous on 9/8/2012:

Dear Dr. Geraghty,

I know that the Church says that it is ok to fight in self-defense,but I do not have the heart to hurt anyone, even in self-defense. I know that Christ could have had all his angels come to his defense, but he chose to submit to the abuse. I really believe that violence is not the answer. I believe that responding with love is a better choice. Please help me to understand how I should respond if I am ever attacked. How did the saints respond after being physically abused?

Sincerely, Anonymous

Dear Anon,

The answer varies. King David killed Goliath. St. Joan of a Arc led armies but did not kill anyone personally. And Christ, as you noted, submitted to be crucified. The Church honors pacifists in some circumstances. But she does not require it in all instances.