Deacon
Question from Tony on 11/25/2011:

I know the preist acts in Persona Christi during certain sacramental acts, but what about the deacon? I read somewhere where the deacons acts as the servent Chrsit. Any info? Thanks a lot.

Answer by Robert J. Flummerfelt, J.C.L. on 11/25/2011:

Hi Tony,

The deacon's role is one focused on service primarily. In the Eastern Churches, the deacon has a very involved liturgical role (especially in the Byzantine tradition). Historically, deacons predated priests and were called for the purpose of performing charitable and service oriented works for the Christian community. Diakonia means of course from the Greek - servant (as the primary word for translation).

I do not know of a parallel to the phrase in persona Christi equivalent for the Deacon.

Peace and blessings, Bob