Catholic teaching on the Harry Potter series
Question from Joan on 6/15/2011:

My daughter has asked to read and watch the Harry Potter books and movies. I remember when these first became available that the Catholic Church found this series objectionable. What is the current teaching about this? I would like to be able to give her a solid reason (as she is a teen) that she can apply to other literature and media as she chooses what to read and watch in the future. Thank you.

Joan--

The Church has never said anything about the Harry Potter series by J. K. Rowling, and has no issue with it. There have been certain individuals claiming to speak for the Church, or claiming that Church leaders have spoken to them about the series, who have stirred up controversy over the series for their own aggrandizement; but that is a separate matter, and their personal opinion should not be confused with Church teaching. For more information about the Harry Potter series from a Christian perspective, I recommend the book linked below.

Recommended reading:

How Harry Cast His Spell by John Granger