RE: Playing the Organ in a Protestant Church
Question from Mary June Peterson on 8/12/2010:

I played for a number of years in a protestant church. A few situations arose that I did not anticipate. When I tried to avoid playing for a wedding invovling a former Catholic, I was told that it was mandatory for me to play for weddings as I was the churhc organist. On occasion I also had to listen to anti-Catholic remarks in a few homilies. I would clarify that you have the right to refuse to play for a wedding before accepting the position. In the last protestant church organ position I held, I stipulated that I would not be playing for weddings. This may jeopardize the job but it is important to protect your own religious beliefs in this situation.

Answer by Fr. John Trigilio on 8/20/2010:

I agree that one should absent oneself from any and all anti-Catholic rhetoric or Catholic bashing. Most non-Catholic Churches who hire Catholic organists are not as biased or prejudiced. But you should refuse any occasion where your faith is attacked.