Philosophy for Dummies
Question from Chris on 4/27/2009:

Dear, Dr. Geraghty

I have been reading through a book about the philosophy of St. Thomas Aquinas title 'Aquinas' by Fr. F.C. Copleston, SJ; however, it requires a background in the basics of philosophy. I am interested in studying philosophy and I am looking for a book that will help me to understand the basics. I found 'Philosophy for Dummies' by Tom Morris at a library and glanced through it. My question is that would this be a good book to use or not. Are there any books that you would recommend.

Thank You and God Bless you.

Dear Chris,

Try reading some of the shorter dialogues of Plato where he portrays the life and death of Socrates. In this way you will be learning philosophy from its original source.