Overworked priests
Question from Anonymous on 1/8/2009:

I have gotten to know a pastor of the church I am a member of. The church is one of the largest in the diocese. I feel sad for him because he is almost perpetually working-some weeks he is in the office for 13 or 14 hours 6 times a week. He's a good priest- a strong person and I know he can handle his responsibilities but I just dont want him to become sick over the workload which at times he worries will happen. He has two associate priests at the church but the workload is still difficult and he only gets 4 weeks of vacation a year. Do you have any suggestions to help him to keep his sanity?

Answer by David Gregson on 4/24/2009:

The primary problem is the shortage of priests. The solution is to pray and work for an increase in vocations. A pastor and his curates can help by encouraging vocations in their parish, by word, publicly from the pulpit, privately to suitable candidates, and also by example of their own selfless devotion and joy in the priesthood.

But parents play the most important part. Their faithfulness, devotion, and careful instruction of their children, will do most in opening the hearts of their sons to God's call.

Meanwhile, your pastor's sanity seems dependent on his closeness to Christ. The more his work is inspired by his devotion to the Master, the less burdensome it will seem.